Oracle Database Failover Active/Passive Unix/Linux Plataform – Free of ChargePosted: 08/05/2012
In this post I will show you how to setting up environment high availability without the option Oracle RAC.
Oracle Fail Safe is available only for Windows, for Unix / Linux would need third party software Cluster to do the Failover.
Good News From Oracle:
Oracle Clusterware provides cluster membership and high availability services. It provides the cluster membership for features such as Oracle Real Application Clusters and Oracle ASM. It includes the following features:
- Application monitoring, restart, and failover
- Cluster membership services
- Server monitoring and fencing
- Single Client Access Name (SCAN)
- Server Pools
- Grid Naming Services
Oracle Clusterware can be used to protect any application (restarting or failing over the application in the event of a failure), free of charge, if one or more of the following conditions are met:
- The server OS is supported by a valid Oracle Unbreakable Linux support contract.
- The product to be protected is either:
- Any Oracle product (e.g. Oracle Applications, Siebel, Hyperion, Oracle Database EE, Oracle Database XE)
- Any third-party product that directly or indirectly stores data in an Oracle database
- At least one of the servers in the cluster is licensed for Oracle Database (SE or EE)
A cluster is defined to include all the machines that share the same Oracle Cluster Registry (OCR) and Voting Disk.
See step by step here using clusterware 11.1, we can improvise this setup to 11.2 using SCAN feature which is more easy.